Benefits of Active Management
The evidence tells us that people who use active therapies such as self-management:
- Have less disability than those who receive only passive therapies (taking medication, resting).
- Feel less isolated and alone.
You can start by:
- Becoming knowledgeable about chronic pain.
- Staying active to improve your pain levels.
- Pacing your activities to reduce flare ups.
- Practicing daily relaxation techniques.
- Learning how to communicate about your pain.
- Improving your sleep
Visit Pain U online to help you get started!
Choosing the Right Self-Management Program
Pain is a complex condition that is impacted by a variety of physical, psychological and social factors.
Self-management programs that address all three of these factors will lead to the best results. There are many options for pain management clinics and finding the one that is best for you may be difficult. There are a variety of options for self management programs and you should take time to find the right one for you.
When you are looking for a self-management program, look for one that:
- Is evidence-based
- Run by a reputable organization you trust
- Is the appropriate format for you and your life, whether that be online or in-person